There’s nothing worse than discovering that a home appliance you rely on isn’t working as it should. Appliance maintenance is necessary. Maybe your dishwasher isn’t cleaning your dishes properly or your washing machine isn’t draining the water – whatever the case may be, if you are tired of buying new appliances every year, Alpha Tech Appliance is here to help. These tips and tricks will help you to keep your appliances running longer.
Why Should You Maintain Your Home Appliances
Modern appliances are made much better than appliances in the past. And with routine maintenance and proper care, you can keep these appliances running for years. A great way to be in tune with the needs of your appliances is simply reading the manual. Instead of throwing them out or into some drawer to collect dust, take the time to read the user guide. With today’s technology, new appliances are equipped with features you may not even be aware of.
Read Appliance Instructions
Inside your owner’s manual, you’ll find detailed instructions on how to properly use the appliance. It’s important that you read and follow these instructions. You will find a step-by-step outline on how to properly operate and care for your machine, along with everything you may need to know about individual parts. It’s always a good idea to adhere to the manufacturer’s recommendations when it comes to product use and maintenance needs.
Call a Professional to Install
If you are in the process of shopping for a new appliance, you should consider hiring a professional to install it properly so you can be certain everything is in working order from the start. This is where the professionals at Alpha Tech Appliance come in. Having a trained technician install your appliance will ensure that the manufacturer’s instructions are followed, the appliance will be leveled, and the highest quality connectors are used.
How to Maintain Washing Machine
Whether you have a front-load or top load washing machine, routine maintenance to keep it running smoothly is straightforward:
- Don’t overload – We’ve all been there. Looking at the laundry pile and thinking we can throw everything into the washing machine. Avoid this temptation as the machine won’t be able to cycle properly and your items won’t get clean.
- Use the right type and amount of detergent – Consult the user guide to find out what type of detergent you need to use during the cycle.
- Keep dispensers clean – It’s important to make sure that dispensers for detergent, fabric softener, and bleach are clear of residue. Use a damp cloth and wipe away any buildup.
- Clean drum – Some washing machines play an alert when it’s time to clean the machine. Even if you don’t have this, it’s a good idea to clean your drum at least every month. Use lemon juice, vinegar, or a descaling blend and run the machine on a cycle with nothing inside. This helps reduce unwanted odors too.
- Remove any contents from pockets to ensure the drum doesn’t get damaged.
How to Maintain Dryer
Similar to the washing machine, there are specific dryer maintenance tips to keep yours running properly:
- Clean the lint trap – It’s imperative to remove any excess lint that builds up inside the dryer’s lint trap. It’s best to do this before each drying cycle. Neglecting the lint trap will increase the amount of time it takes to dry your laundry while increasing the amount you spend on utilities.
- Leave time to cool – Best practices dictate that you allow the dryer time to cool down between cycles. 30-40 minutes should do the trick.
- Clean drum – Take a microfiber cloth and wipe away any particles that have stuck to the drum.
- Wash heat exchange – Run warm water through your heat exchange every 100 cycles. Go through your owner’s manual to find out how to access and remove your heat exchange in order to do this.
How to Maintain Refrigerator
There are a handful of fridge maintenance tips that you should implement into your service regime.
- Unplug and clean – Every few months, you should unplug your refrigerator, remove any old or spoiled food, and completely clean and sanitize inside and out. Use a cleaning solution that isn’t harmful, especially around ice or water dispensing areas.
- Vacuum rear – Every 6 months, pull the fridge away from the wall and vacuum the appliance. This is especially important if the capacitor is external.
- Inspect seals – You should regularly inspect the seals on the doors to ensure your fridge is keeping the contents as cool as possible. Leaks in the seal can lead to increased humidity levels inside the appliance.
- Consult the user guide to properly clean water lines.
Clean Your Dishwasher
User mistakes lead to the bulk of service calls. Follow these dishwasher maintenance tips:
- Remove any excess food build-up before loading the dishes. Rinsing the dishes before putting them in the appliance is important.
- Don’t wash anything with labels that will peel off and get caught in the filters.
- Load the machine properly. Consult the owner’s manual to learn where to put dishes, pots, pans, glassware, and silverware.
- Use rinse aids and detergents that are recommended for your machine.
Take Care of Stove, Oven, Cooktop, and Range
- Wipe grease and food splatter off the surfaces and around the dials and knobs.
- Regularly clean the outer panel of the over door to prevent staining.
- Use a stovetop cleaner to tackle any food or residue that has built up on the surface of the stovetop. Use a non-abrasive sponge to avoid scratches.
- For spills and drips inside the oven, use a cloth and water to quickly wipe away to avoid the potential of smoking or fire.
Contact the Pros
By implementing the following appliance maintenance tips into your cleaning regimen, you’ll notice your appliances will remain cleaner longer while also lasting longer! The next time you are in need of home appliance care, reach out to the professionals at Alpha Tech Appliance.